Three years ago, in response to the devastating impact of the Global Gag Rule, Rutgers and DKT International came together to launch the She Makes Her Safe Choice programme – with a dream to end unsafe abortions worldwide.
Backed by funding from the Dutch Postcode Lottery, they have made huge strides towards that goal. Working at a global level, and with in-country partners in Kenya, Ethiopia and West Africa, to drastically reduce the number of unsafe abortions and maternal deaths.
I was tasked with amplifying the overall impact and standout actions that have been achieved by the programme over the past two years to donors and stakeholders.
I worked with freelance designer Elspeth Watson to concept and craft a Midway Impact campaign (comprised of a targeted newsletter and engaging social assets) deep-diving into the #SheMakesHerSafeChoice programme so far. Read the newsletter in full here.
My work on the project included:
- Developing a campaign proposal to effectively communicate the programme’s impact to a global network of donors, partners and stakeholders
- Sourcing a designer, gathering their input into the proposal and briefing them throughout the project
- Creating the campaign flow across CRM, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Evaluating existing content (internal and external) generated by the programme so far and collating relevant parts for this campaign
- Writing newsletter and social copy, adapting the latter for different platforms and audiences
- Working with the designer to create engaging animations to effectively communicate the programme’s overall results
- Pulling out individual in-country stories to give an insight into the on-the-ground impact behind the high-level data
- Taking in multiple rounds of stakeholder feedback
The positive response to this campaign led to a secondary project to create a digital flyer, detailing the actions and impact of the programme in Francophone West Africa, below.